Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever

Last night I went out for a run not sure what I would actually do for a workout. I assumed I would figure it out during my warm-up. This is a bad philosophy because if the warm-up isn't going great, I tend to not try to push myself too much during the workout.
Anyway, I decided I would do a few 800 repeats, three to be exact, about as hard as I could with an 800 recovery. As I finished my third one (3:10, 2:50, 2:53) I was totally gassed. I looked at my GPS watch and realized I was still two miles from home. I usually only give myself a one-mile cool-down, at most. I looked down at my other wrist to my LiveStrong bracelet. I though of Lance Armstrong's saying that helps push me through: Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever. Then I thought about this blog.
I thought about how you only get out of things what you put into them. If I am ever going to become a really good runner I have to make a commitment to being that good. So I took off for a fourth 800. It was uphill, winding through the park and very painful. But I did it. It was slower, at 3:15, but still within my goal range for the workout. I nearly threw up, but I'm glad I pushed through for one more repeat.
I didn't stomp the cheese. I'm sure it will pay off.

No comments: